Vantaa is the European Rising Innovative City19.10.2021
Vantaa has been chosen as the European Rising Innovative City. This is the required entry video displaying city’s innovative practices that was sent to the awards. Music written and performed by Tempo Orchestra.
Vantaa’s mayor Ritva Viljanen accepted the award at the European Rising Innovative City Awards finals held at the city of Brussels on the 24th of November 2021.
– In 50 years, Vantaa has grown from a small rural town to the fourth largest city in Finland. It is Finland’s fastest growing city – and now also Europe’s Rising Innovative City!
– This is a great recognition that we have the courage to try and develop in our city. Vantaa is full of innovations that we have made together with residents and local operators, Mayor Viljanen emphasized.
Vantaa was among eight cities that the European Innovation Council (EIC) has chosen as the European Rising Innovative City semi-finalists.
Vantaa is an innovative city of sustainable growth. From a small town next to the capital city, Vantaa has grown into the 4th largest city in Finland, very attractive to both companies and new inhabitants.
Background of the competition
For the first time, The EIC awards cities in two population-based categories. The new European Rising Innovative City award is now granted for the first time. Cities with 50,000 – 249,000 residents are eligible to enter the competition. EIC has already for several years chosen a European Capital of Innovation among European cities.
The nominated cities will be judged, among other things, on how well they have succeeded in the following subjects:
- – Developed ecosystems that combine actors in the city’s different sectors, promote innovations and increase the residents’ wellbeing
- – Helped the local actors to develop novel operating models and tools as test platform
- – Supported businesses in accelerating their growth.
The winner of the European Rising Innovative City prize amounts to €500,000 and The European Capital of Innovation prize is €1 million. Two other cities will also be awarded in both categories.
The winners will be published when The European Capital of Innovation Awards is arranged on 24. – 25.11.2021.
Music written and performed by Tempo Orchestra.
Vantaa won the competition, article in Finnish
Vantaa made it to the top 3, article in Finnish
The European Capital of Innovation Awards (iCapital) 2021 semi-finalists
The European Innovation Council: The European Capital of Innovation AwardsAvainsanat: hiilineutraalius, innovaatiot, international, vantaa, yritykset International